14 May 2010

Soup and Monkeys!

Alone time is a rarity these days.

I spent my twenties basking in my own shadow.  But now that I live with J, we tend to spend most of our free time together.  It's great, but I think I've forgotten how glorious complete and utter alone time can really be...

J is off to the lake to install a hardwood floor in his cabin and he's taken our pup Gus with him.  I'm at home deciding how I am going to fill my weekend.  I've already made dates to visit with my sis and my new little nephew and catch up with an old friend over coffee on the pation on Corydon.  In between I plan to clean out my closet (see previous post), sleep late, read in bed and watch chick flicks.

But of course, in my thrill of free time I got ambitious.  So at this moment in time, I'm making a sock monkey and I'm cooking a pot of soup.  Thanks Charity for the supplies and inspiration! Monkey for my nephew, soup for me.  Here's a shot of monkey in progress...


The soup is a fab and easy greek-themed bowl of delicious-ness.  It has juicy chicken, tart lemon and lots of fresh zuccini.  I've made this one before, it's another amazing recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Winter Soup specialty mag.  I'd like to the recipe but I can't find it anywhere online.  So here you go!

Greek Chicken Pesto Soup


In a large saucepan, bring to a boil:

2 14 oz cans chicken broth
1 pound of cubed chicken breast or thigh (I find the thigh has more flavour AND it's cheaper!)
1 14 oz can diced Italian spiced tomatoes
1/2 cup dried orzo pasta (I resisted using orzo for quite some time but love it in soups!)

Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 6 minutes.  Add:

1 small chopped zuccini
1 tsp shredded lemon peel
1 Tb fresh lemon juice
3 or 4 big dollops of basil pesto (is dollop a measurement??)

Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 4 more minutes. 

So easy and so yummy!

I will report back on the progress of Project Sock Monkey...this may call for a few glasses of wine!

Written with love,
Lenore

3 comments:

  1. Your weekend sounds so peaceful and needed!! Many times I wish I had my house to myself to do just what I would like - make yummy food, nap, read and read and read, do yoga, listen to really loud music or classical on the radio, watch chick flicks. Ohhh, sounds marvelous. The soup looks amazing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that soup would be a perfect thing to make for my mom when she's under the weather. thanks!

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool sock monkey....those things sell for a lot of $$$$. Great to spend some time together today...hopefully we can do it again sometime. Take care
    S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore