28 October 2010

What would you do?

Good morning to you, I hope you are well!  Thanks for all your encouraging comments yesterday, you guys really do inspire me.  Sooo, two more days to the weekend! Now that my back is starting to feel better, I'm starting to think about starting on a few pieces of furniture.  The hard part is deciding what to work on!

A while back, I picked up 4 pressed back chairs from an older gentleman looking to rid his overflowing garage.  They're all different but they're all over 100 years old with floral patterns pressed into the backs.  They're quite beautiful and sturdy, but definitely show signs of wear and tear from the years of use.


They've been sitting in my studio waiting for inspiration to hit.  But I'm really on the fence with these.  Do I coat them in bright, modern colours? Do I distress them since they're already so aged?  Wax finish over poly?  I don't know why I've been holding back on these, but I'd love your input.

What do you think I should do with these chairs? I'd love to hear your thoughts my friends!

12 comments:

  1. Both are really pretty..I would love to see them painted in a deep red or green colour:) But whatever you do, it will be amazing. I bet!
    Kisses,sweetie

    Ps; I hope you had a chance to enter my ban.do Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, since they are so old and unique I wouldn't try to make them look modern by painting them bright or bold...I would play up their "vintage vibe" and distress them...
    <3Cara
    Fabulous Nan Lawson Giveaway going on @ Lilac and Grey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cara, I would go with a look that compliments their vintage beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'd paint them a bold red. But then, I love red. :) They're great pieces, though. I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally would keep them neutral, maybe a antique white, or light grey. They are already so ornately designed, they speak for themselves. I wouldn’t want to take anything away from them. But I would possibly look into some cool and modern tie cushions for the seat to keep them fresh and modern looking. Anyways, love your stuff. Love your blog. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd definitely play up their vintage vibe like Cara said...would be sad to paint over them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i would also keep them very rustic and work looking- maybe just dry brish some rustic red or dark/blue green (one of those older colors that are found on pieces like this) and make it look like that hbarely had any paint left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog by accident. By the way, I am looking to expand my world wide business. If you are interested in earning significant income along with what you are doing, email me for info at greenmonstertruck@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those remind me of chairs that my grandmother had when I was a little girl!
    I would love to see them done in pale neutrals, or for colour, distressed pastels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, Char, me too--these chairs look just like the ones my grandparents have had in their dining room for as long as I can remember. I love Sarah's idea of going with a white or light grey look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lenore, I have a similar project in the works and I am always searching for pressed back chairs. I have 5 so far and need 3 more, our plan is to paint them all beachy colors and set them around our cabin table. Some of the ones I have found are already painted and I love the way the designs pop with paint on them. I say go for it and paint them, maybe a warm white or blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cabin sounds like it's going to look awesome Amanda! Thanks for the great suggestion!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore