07 October 2010

Need your help! Blogging with Intention

So after Thursday's blog share, I began thinking more and more about this blog (mine I mean!).  About what it means to me, what I'd like to put out there in the world and also about you guys.  For all of you who visit but don't comment (I see the numbers!), I'm so glad you're out there and I'd love to know you better.  Those that do comment, you feel like my friends.  And it fills me with joy to be able to share with all of you each and every day my thoughts, my pictures, my furniture projects and things that inspire me and catch my eye. 

When I started the blog, I felt like a little kid starting something brand new.  I didn't really know where I was headed...and that was okay.  But I'm starting to find myself and this means taking a little time to figure out what's working with this blog and what I can do different.

{Image via pixdaus}

I have so many goals and dreams, many that can only come with time, dedication, hard work and money.  I would love to get a smart phone, so I can keep in better touch with my social media.  I'd love a new camera so I can take my blog and furniture photos to the next level.  And my laptop is slowing passing it's time (that revving motor plus my brother-in-law's diagnosis tells me so!) so I need to make that big PC vs. Mac decision we all must face!  Those are the expensive items.

I'd like to better respond in a timely manner to all of you when you take time out of your day to read and comment here.  I'd like to read more of the blogs I love, and comment for regularly there as well.  And I'd really like to finish my blog redesign, I'm getting there but I still have a ways to go to get it where I want to be.

I'd like to better organize how and when I blog.  I've spoken to other bloggers (thanks Kyla!) who plan their blog much like an editorial calendar.  They plan most of the content a month in advance and prepare multiple posts in their free time.  They utilize the scheduled posting tool and this frees up more time to keep up with blog reading on a daily basis.  This intrigues and excites me.

{Image via pinterest}

So I'm giving a lot of thought to my content and what I'd like to offer you to read on a daily basis.  And I'd really like you to have a say in what you enjoy here at Lather. 

In the past I've written these columns...

Etsy Love - sharing a favourite Etsy shop and a peek at what's for sale
Inspired by - showcasing a designer or artist who's grabbed my eye and gotten me excited about creating
From the Kitchen - a recipe and photo tutorial of what's going on in my kitchen
PIY Pointers - paint it yourself tips and tutorials
Thursday Blog Share - sharing a blog I've discovered and love to read
Before and After - pics of my latest vintage furniture upcycling project
Building a Biz - my thoughts, tips and lessons learned as I go through the process of starting and building my small business
Delightful DIY - do-it-yourself projects I've found online and have caught my eye

Plus I have a fun new column in the works...more details in a bit!

As I build the structure of my blog going forward, I would LOVE to hear what you think.  What columns do you like to read?  What would you like to see more of (furniture? design?)? What would you like to see less of (me babbling about my dog?  all my thrift store finds?)?  Do you like the personal stuff thrown in?  Do you prefer the structure of an editorial calendar?

This is a work in progress so all your feedback and comments and ideas will truly help move me forward on this.  If you read but you've never commented before, then please speak up.  This is for you and me after all, we need to work together on this!

{Image via madebygirl}

Thanks for listening and I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

14 comments:

  1. I like the PIY tips! As a painting newbie (and definitely wanted to figure out which method works the best), I love to read about how others do it and apply it!
    I'm a new follower, but I have really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your before & afters (of course) and I really enjoy your perspectives on building a biz, you've really opened my eyes to certain things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog this evening and it's wonderful. I think we all have those same feelings about how we figure out what works and what doesn't. It's so fun, but can be puzzling at times. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to post a multiple choice poll for us all! I like reading everything you post, but my favorites are the furniture reveals and now the PIY tips. I live in hope that I will become brave enough to tackle some projects. Maybe once I've finished my big basement decluttering.
    I think that having a schedule of when you blog about certain subjects can be helpful, but also allowing for spur of the moment writing. You may already do this, I keep a list of blog post ideas, then when I'm struggling for a subject I have something to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I wish I was together enough to plan my posts a month ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I like your blog just the way it is because I think it reflects the many facets of your life. I enjoy being surprised by what you come up with each day. I just don't know where you find the time to do so much! I would also be interested in learning more about what you do at your regular job. Here's my one piece of advice for any writer or designer: Mac computers rule!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now & I just love it. I so wish I had your motivation and talent for furniture. I always see furniture in stores and see the potential and wish I could do what you do! My favorite posts are the before and after's as well as the DIY/PIY. But I'd like to see anything else you'd like to write, I don't know you personally by any means, but I think I can see your personality shine through. :)
    - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reading your blog for a little while now, and it rocks! You've even inspired me to take on some projects, which have turned out better than I hoped! I love seeing the furniture and your finds, and the PIY Pointers. I also love how often you update- there's nothing more frustrating than following a blog that doesn't get updated for weeks at a time. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like all the instructional tips, plus the Before and Afters, plus everything else EXCEPT rooms from other magazines or books that just show a color or style of decorating. The more personal you can make your blog, the more I like it. Please talk about where you live and what life is like there. And no God talk, please. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. It appears your readers really enjoy all the diversity and personality you bring to blog, the more personal the better. As for 'God Talk', well that again, is your choice too, isn't it? Afterall, it's your blog. :)
    It's all good.!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing and reading about your before and afters. They are always so inspiring. I also enjoy the painting tips and the post about building a biz.I am in the process of doing the same. I really think your blog is great and love when you post something new. Have a great weekend, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lenore I love your blog! This is a large part of what inspired me to start blogging. I wish I had as much time, creativity and motivation as you do. I love that you blog about things you love and also with intention to keep us all interested. I read and enjoy all your posts. Even while in San Fran I made sure to check my iPod every couple days to read your posts. My favorites are anything to do with your furniture upcycling and building a biz but I also love that you throw the personal stuff, share inspiration and share some of the great blogs you read. I've gotten into a few great blogs from yours and others recommendations. 115 followers and counting! That's awesome! Your blog rocks, keep it up! Let me know when you want to get a few gals together to chat about creative biz.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the before and after's - and anything you post about inspiration =)
    Village

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lenore, I love everything about this post! I love that the blogging community is so open and supportive we can get feedback from each other. I adore the categories you've listed, especially your before & afters! I think a "sourcing" category would be kind of fun. You could tell us how you find your pieces--visits to thrift shops, flea markets etc? And tips on finding pieces that are worth restoring and the signs that a piece is beyond restoration?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore