24 October 2010

Before and After: Green with Whimsy 3-Drawer Chest

I finally have a project to reveal to you after a long week nursing my sore back.  This one was almost done last weekend so some last minute finishing and it's ready to go!  This 3-drawer chest was in excellent condition with it's solid wood construction and intricate drawer sliders.  But talk about outdated!  That honey wood with the hunter green stain?  Yikes!


I knew this was a great opportunity to create something soft and whimsical, yet still sophisticated.  Remember the great pewter cup pulls I found a while back?  I filled in all the original hardware holes and redrilled to accommodate these smaller vintage-style pulls.

The piece is pine, which always means lots of knicks and dents that look awful after you paint, so I spent a lot of time filling them in with wood filler then resanding for an almost new surface.  A tutorial on that to come in the near future of course!  After sanding and priming, I painted her in a soft pale greenish grey colour to compliment the gorgeously detailed accent paper - a chic combination of citrus green birds on a bright teal background.  I love how it turned out with it's charming mix of calm, whimsy and elegance!






This piece is so multi-functional, you could use it as a bedside table or even a small dresser.  I think it would be so cute in a little girl's room!

If you live in the Winnipeg area and would like to take home the Green with Whimsy 3-Drawer Chest from Lather Creations, you can do so here.

Have a lovely rest of your Sunday friends!

19 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that is beautiful! I particularly love the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so darn cute! love the paper on it! it loosk like a nicely textured paper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always do marvelous things with paper.The table looks great, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed! The result is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful! I've found you via Ren's "around the world" post. Your photos are great :)

    Dani G
    http://imjustthatway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful job and i love the hardware that you used as handles. They finish the look beautifully. I'm visiting from Ren, Lady of the Arts blog:-).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work. A new beautiful life...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful job you did! I love the new freshness. I'm also visiting today from Ren, Lady of the Arts :) I loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so fantastic lady! great job!

    thank you for loving my sisters yarn letters :)

    hope you have a great day!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, popped over from Ren's and love your ideas! Beautiful little dresser:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As always, I love your creations and upgrades! That fabric and overall color is just awesome!

    Hope your back is starting to feel better and better. Happy week to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love chunky feel of the piece with the prettiness of the paper; great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, I'm totally stunned by this transformation - my jaw literally dropped when I scrolled down to the "after" photos! I wish I lived in Winnipeg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet piece. Love it! Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the paper on the drawer fronts is really a cute touch!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore