Hello friends, how are you doing today? Yesterday I made some of my favourite soup. My mom used to make it when I was growing up and I swear - it costs less than $4 a pot. Plus you can have all the ingredients waiting in your pantry so it's a great 'scrape together dinner before grocery day'.
-2 medium yellow onions, cut into thick slices
-1 teaspoon sugar
-3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
-1 28oz can diced tomatoes
-2 28oz cans full of water
-1 cup whole wheat macaroni
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Spray a 5+ quart soup pot with cooking spray. Heat to medium and saute onions 6-8 minutes until sweating (not brown).
2. When onions start to get jammy, whisk together sugar and balsamic vinegar and add to onions. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes until they start to caramelize.
3. Add diced tomatoes and water, turn heat to high until soup starts to boil.
4. Add macaroni and reduce heat to medium, simmering for 8 minutes and stirring frequently.
5. Turn off heat and let soup sit for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, I like lots in my tomato macaroni soup!
Hope you all have a lovely day. It's shaping up to be super hot here this week and Friday is Canada Day so looking forward already to the long weekend!! How about you?