Happy Tuesday friends! It's rainy and grey and dreary here, which means one thing for me - big pots of hot homemade soup. J and I are soup-aholics for a few reasons - 1) it tastes awesome 2) broth-based soups are way healthy and low-cal and filling and 3) cheap because a little meat goes a long way or you can go veggie no prob.
This is one of our faves - I'm not a huge olive fan but in this stew it's amazing! So tangy and salty against the savoury chicken and tart tomatoes. You. must. try.
spritz of cooking oil
6 chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
1 yellow onion, sliced (I like big chunks of onion in my soup!)
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
1 spoonful of minced garlic
6 cups chicken broth
1 tsp pepper
5 small red potatoes, cut into small wedges
1-28oz can diced tomatoes (not drained)
20-25 green manzanilla olives with pimentos, diced
1. Sprintz a large soup pot with cooking oil and heat on med-high. Sautee chicken until browned, about 5-8 mins.
2. Add cut up onion, red pepper and garlic and continue to cook on medium for another 6-8 mins, until vegetables are softened.
3. Add chicken broth, herbs and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer with lid for 15 mins.
4. Add diced tomatoes, return to boil, reduce heat and simmer with lid for another 6 minutes.
5. Stir in chopped olives, let sit for 5 mins and serve!
I recommend with some buttered crusty bread, a soft blanket and bad reality tv (I know, defeats the purpose of being healthy, but soooooo delicious!).
Tell me friends, what's your favourite soup recipe on a cold and rainy day?