11 March 2011

From the Kitchen: Tasty Pulled Pork



Okay, so I made this amazing pulled pork in my slow cooker the other day. I tweeted about it and had a few questions about what cut of pork I used and my homemade BBQ sauce recipe, so I decided to share it with you!

**By the way, are you on Twitter and Facebook? If so, I would love to have Twitter and FB chats with you! I've really been getting into Twitter as a shorter, but more frequent way to converse and connect with people.  Follow me here on Twitter and let's start tweeting...or hop on over and like me here on Facebook. I'm always sharing random tidbitson FB about furniture I'm working on, uploading pictures of my dog and giving you my bossy opinions about bad reality TV I'm watching!

But back to the recipe at hand...It was my first time ever making pulled pork and like every thing I FINALLY try - I'm asking myself why the heck it took so long. J and I loved it so much it will definitely be added to our once a month meal rotation. Sorry I didn't take pictures throughout the process, as I wasn't expecting this to be a blog post. But I improvised with the leftovers!

Want to try it too? You won't regret it!

You'll need:
1 3-4lb pork shoulder blade roast
1 white onion
1/2 cup of ketchup
1/2 cup of rice or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of worsteshire sauce
1/3 cup Asian chili garlic sauce (find this in the asian section of supermarket, it's bright red and has a rooster on the logo!)
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar


1. In a slow cooker, add the ketchup, vinegar, worsteshire, garlic sauce, garlic and sugar. Mix well.

2. Chop your onion and add to the sauce mixture.

3. Trim the visible fat from your pork shoulder roast. I have a smallish slow cooker so I cut the roast into 5 or 6 large chunks so they would fit better. Cover the meat with the sauce then set your slow cooker on low for 10 hours (this was exactly when I woke up at 7am until I got home from work at 5pm).

4. Using a slotted ladle, remove the chunks of meat onto a large plate or pan. Using two forks, shred the pork (this is very easy because the meat is soooo tender).

5. Return the meat to the slow cooker, mixing it back in with the sauce. It's ready to serve!

I bought crusty buns and which we topped with the meat and coleslaw for the true southern experience. With some pickles and pototo salad on the side, it was just dreamy!

Have you ever made pulled pork? If so, what do you do differently? Let's all share our amazingly yummy secrets!

Hoping you all have the most lovely weekend my friends!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore