15 May 2011

Delightful DIY: Madras Madness

It's Sunday, the weather is finally AMAZING and I've crossed the two giant projects off my list for summer (getting my invites out and finishing my two Red River College workshops). I know I keep going on and on about it but I feel ready to just enjoy the summer, do things on my own time and do lots of fun creative projects.

Remember how I finished my straps last weekend on the maxi dress? Well I picked out my very first pattern to do from start to finish and that's what I've been up to the for the last day and a half. Obsessed much? Yup!


Pattern: Simplicity 2593 
Difficulty Level: Easy
Pattern $: 5.95
Fabric Cost: $13.00 

I picked out this 'easy' simplicity pattern with a design by Cynthia Rowley (fashionista to the end!!).  For the fabric, I went with a super summer madras plaid cotton in a feminine pinky-brown colour palette.



I won't pretend to be able to do any sewing tutorials that will actually help you but I when I feature my sewing on Delightful DIY, I'll share my pattern details and lessons learned! For this shirt, i had big plans to do the twisted collar on the cover shot but I ended up losing steam after finishing the basic tank top.

A few things I learned:
-the size is really the size Lenore so you don't need to add extra inches all around (hello boxy!!)
-I don't need to pin the pattern to the fabric to cut it, just weighting it down is enough and saves tons of time
-always, always practice your seams on scrap fabric (good think I picked out a patterned, textured fabric to hide all my flaws!)
-patterns tend to be too short so I always make my length longer then pin to fit perfectly
-adding darts is not so hard - thanks google!
-there is no satisfaction like making my own clothes...so so cool!

Here's some pics of the finished product. Forgive me for I'm make-upless...how's that for brave??





So yes, it's definitely on the boxy side and it's a big big in the neckline but all in all - for under twenty bucks it was a great first project.

What are you up to this weekend friends? Hope it's lovely where you are!

8 comments:

  1. Nice Post! Glad I found this blog!

    If you're into photography, check out my blog. I'm a photographer!

    www.electricbrandon.com

    If you want, follow it and I'll do the same. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boxy is fine because you can give volume to a tight skirt or something! It is infinitely better than anything I could have made. I hope you're proud, 'cause that's an achievement. An adorable achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for tackling sewing clothing! It turned out great, Lenore. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did it!! Good job Lenore.
    I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is fabulous! you are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good plan Sarah! I was thinking about belting it too...

    Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies, you guys always spur me to keep at it!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore