16 May 2011

The 20-Year Old Tray

I made this tray in my Grade 9 woodworking class. Not too shabby, eh?

Would you believe my my mom still uses it everyday to hold her copious amounts of tea while she reads curled up on the couch? Yup, that means she's had it for 20 YEARS!! How's that for motherly devotion...and craftsmanship for that matter?

I really think my high school shop teacher would be super impressed at how well this little tray has stood up to daily wear and tear. 20 years worth...


This is WAY behind, but my mama approached me about refreshing her tray "Lather Creations" style for Mother's Day and I thought that was a pretty fun idea. She's in the middle of a kitchen redo so it's the perfect time to revamp her beloved tea tray.

So the plan is to sand her up, do some repainting and add a little something special - I have a cool little graphic idea and I  promise to share the 'after' shots once it's done.  Remember friends - if it's solid wood, odds are you can do something cool with paint to give it a whole new look.

Do you have an old wood tray? Why not paint it creamy white or soft turquoise and distress it heavily for a vintage look? Or paint it a sleek solid in a vibrant bright like raspberry or lime green? Such a great, inexpensive way to add a pop of colour to your space.

Does your mom hoard your childhood items? What would she show off of yours if I stopped by for a visit?

By the way - love you mom and thanks for all your ongoing support - your my biggest cheerleader! Now we just need to figure out how to display those synchronized swimming medals!! Tee hee...

Have a great night friends...

3 comments:

  1. that is so special! can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's a very pretty tray, i'm sure you'll do something amazing with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...that is already a beautie ;) Super impressed with "grade 9 version of you"!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore