21 February 2011

From the Kitchen: Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken









Hi all! I'm having an awesome lazy holiday Monday and I hope you are too.  I've been trying to eat a little better (gotta look good in my wedding dress!), but I love to cook so I've been playing around with some new recipes lately. For yesterday's Sunday dinner, I decided to make to throw some chicken breasts in the slow cooker with 3/4 of a jar of salsa. Yup, it's that ridiculously easy!

Just to recap, for today's From the Kitchen recipe, you'll need:

3 chicken breasts
3/4 jar of salsa



I set the slow cooker to high, but because it was only chicken and liquid, it cooked very quickly. After 2.5 hours on high, I used two forks to gently shred the chicken then turned it down to low for another 3 hours.


The end result is like pulled pork but it's chicken! It's super tender and flavourful thanks to the salsa. For dinner, we topped the salsa chicken on tortillas with chopped tomato and lettuce, grated cheese and a little sour cream. So easy and so yummy! In retrospect, I should have thrown chopped onions and peppers into the chicken mixture and it would have been even easier.



And what great leftovers. Today I made a taco salad with lettuce, tomato, leftover shredded salsa chicken, grated cheese, crushed taco chips and a dollop of jalapeno ranch dressing. Mmmm!

Do you have any easy healthy slow cooker tips to share? I'd love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I love anything with salsa, so I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww yum! I have to try that one :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want to get my slow cooker out and try this. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to use my cockpot again before it gets hot here- looks like a great meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had this for supper last night! It smelled so good in the kitchen that it was hard not to sneak in for a nibble as it continued to cook on low.
    I think this is a great idea for a simple and quick chicken cacciatore to serve over rice or pasta! I would throw in some extra chopped veg (because chunky salsa never is as chunky as it should be) and cook it for less time as the juices would be delectable with bread to sop it up with!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore