08 February 2011

Before and After: Lee's Rustic Blue Console Table

When Lee was referred to me by a co-worker to paint her antique console table, I couldn't wait to get started! Then she brought it over. Wow. What an amazing piece. I couldn't bear to paint it! I instantly fell in love with the rustic feel and heavy wood spindle legs. It was a bit beaten and battered, but obviously a piece that will stand the test of time. I tried to buy it from her for my own home to no avail! Oh well, a girl can try.

Isn't she a beaut?


I'm all for painting wood, but it seemed a shame on such a gorgeous table. Lee explained how her house is absolutely full of wood, from the floors to the trim to other pieces of furniture. It was time to add a pop of colour to the home. But because of the beat-up nature of the table, a more distressed look would be the best compliment.

Lee chose a bright sky blue called 'Bear Run' by CIL that I've used on other projects. I lightly sanded down the table and went without the primer (because primer shows through when you distress the paint and I knew I would be sealing the piece, also because more paint weathering down the line would be okay). I dry brushed on the paint for a more 'imperfect' look, deliberately leaving some of the wood showing in the nooks and crannies. Then I sanded the paint for more distressing and sealed it up good with water-based polyurethane. Lovely!

It's perfectly rustic and charming at the same time (plus it fits perfectly into my own home decor {wink!}). Check it out!







Lee came by to pick it up and was as happy as I was with the results. Can't wait to see pics of it in their home!

If you live in the Winnipeg area and are interested in having Lather Creations transform a piece of your old/out of date/ugly wood furniture, email me at lhume1@mts.net. I've love to chat about turning it into something special!

Happy Tuesday friends!

10 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous table! The distressed blue is perfect on it {and I agree, it would look lovely in your home ;) } and I think that it was the perfect piece for your special touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful, Lenore! I love the colour, just perfect for the beachy look :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That table is so lovely! I adore it! I would love to have it in my house! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. loooove that soft shade of blue! i did a table almost exactly like htis before! i left the top dark wood and creamified the base. it's always fun to see the same piece different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does look perfect in your home! The wall colour you've selected in your entry is a perfect back drop for all of your projects. Do you remember what that colour is? I love the distressing on this table.
    ~c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Lenore. Love the color and yes, it does fit perfectly into your home. You did a great job on this table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty - love the color and it's perfectly distressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh i love that colour, lenore! looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful shade of blue! It looks perfect on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and colours are really nice. I want search some restaurant tables and chairs with affordable cost. Anybody have any idea, please share ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by, I love reading all your comments! If you have a specific question, please email me at lhume1@mts.net. XO Lenore